Friday, April 3, 2009

Not That You Asked, But . . .

One of the worst aspects of being a new puppy owner is having to deal with all the knuckleheads who pounce on you with a thousand-and-one “do’s” and “don’ts”. People come out of every possible crevice to tell you stories and give you the most emphatic advice you’ve ever heard. More amusing -- and simultaneously depressing -- is that many of these sidewalk Cesars have never owned a dog in their life. They have a friend, who knows a guy, whose sister-in-law . . . .

The dogs don’t even need to be puppies. One chilly, but not impossibly cold winter day, as I walked a golden retriever, a cocker spaniel, and a standard poodle (all hearty, outdoor hunting breeds), a madman dressed in a business suit began loudly berating me for having the dogs out in the cold. “Do you have any clue what you’re talking about?” I asked, at equal volume, “It could be 30 degrees colder and these dogs would happily dive into a frozen lake, with no ill effects whatsoever.” He gaped at me, ignorance exposed, then blustered down the street trying to regain his self-sacrificed dignity.

But, I myself have to admit to being guilty of providing unsolicited advice on a regular basis. I guess it's because every time I see someone with a new puppy, I worry for the dog's well-being. There really are a lot of inexperienced and ill-informed pet owners out there. And, I usually have some experience backing up my words. The truth of the matter is, however, the owners didn't ask for my advice and probably didn't want it. I usually try to mitigate my intrusion by saying, "I don't mean to give you unsolicited advice, but . . . " which of course, I do mean to. I also like to qualify my unwanted counsel by saying something to the effect of, "I'm just saying this because I work with dogs on a daily basis, blah, blah, blah." It still doesn't give me the right to intrude, but at least they can consider the source of the information.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that we should either leave them alone, or give the new dog owners a chance to squirm away from our advice, even if we’re so bent on giving it. Say something like, “look, I know people are giving you tips all day long, but . . .” and then let them know, for what it’s worth, that they can take it or leave it. We know-it-alls are a pain in the ass, even if we really are right.

And, if you have no idea what you’re talking about, don’t say a word. Some rude bastard like me might call you on it.

4 comments:

  1. Almost on the same topic: how can one disengage kindly from people who fuss on your puppy? My dog is two now, but when he was a puppy, we could not walk down the block in less than half an hour. Grant it: he was the prettiest puppy in the world, and loved attention, but there were times when I just wanted to be on my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What slays me is the people with out of control dogs on extendo-leashes on the cell phone who give you dirty looks when your dog growls at their dog. People need to WALK and CONTROL their dogs.
    So there.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it terribly intrusive to be given unsolicited advice, particularly by self-proclaimed "experts" who come on very aggressively. And then express disappointment when you don't follow the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should all welcome advice, as long as it is given graciously. There is not need to be brusque, unless of course the person and her dog are creating a dangerous situation, and one needs to make a point quickly and sharply. Otherwise a polite comment, maybe offered with a smile, could go a long way toward making a person reflect and consider.

    ReplyDelete